14.8.08

the "dude, you see that cult over there?" post; PLUS: wedding!

from the hordes of the perpetually hope-oppressed comes this piece of electoral magic: the obama salute




"Our goal is to see a crowd of 75,000 people at Obama's nomination speech holding their hands about their heads, fingers laced together in support of a new direction for this country, a renewed hope, and acceptance of responsibility for our future," says Rick Husong, owner of The Loyalty Inc. Husong tells me that he got the idea after seeing the famous Obama-progress poster by artist Shepherd Fairey. "We wanted to get involved some way," he says. So, the agency came up with their own a symbol of hope and progress that also plays off Obama's name. "We thought, 'Let's try and start a movement where even while walking down the street, people would hold up the O and you would know they were for Obama,' " says Husong. Much thought went into the relatively simple idea. "You interlace your hands in a circle, the interlacing being a symbol of different types of people coming together and the circle a symbol of unity," he says. Their design, unlike Fairey's, is free , and Husong is urging people to download it and print it on posters and T-shirts. "We want to see it everywhere, but more importantly we want this sign to take the world by storm."
"seriously?" I ask. "seriously."

but really, it's all quite alright. very smart people have informed me that the great O!'s hope-drive exhibits no cult-like characteristics and that anyone who thinks it does is just dumb. *therefore,* this cannot possibly be evidence of cultish affection.

I'm grateful that I was told that a while ago. otherwise, I would have been caught completely unprepared and just acted dumb. or maybe even racist.

which is ultimately why I rely on other people to tell me both how to interpret evidence and what I mean when I say things.

---

all sarcasm aside, my thoughts on the lightworker can be summarized by a simple quote:
As soon as politics, for the sake of politics, becomes a society’s principle passion — its object of hope, its pearl of great price — that society has already subjected itself to a type of totalitarianism. Unwittingly, it has relinquished a citizen’s and a people’s privilege and responsibility of self-determination. It has bet the outcome of the common pursuit of happiness on the eventual good actions of chosen elite.
- unknown
---

alrighty, my spleen is vented. which means on to happy awesome wedding glory [!]

1. it turns out that planning a wedding takes more than a day. in fact, it takes many days. as a result, I've done some things lately that I never imagined I'd do:
- help sheena search for bridesmaid dresses (if you know any good websites for cheap bridesmaid dresses, please let us know! we're looking for a light blue [not baby, royal, navy, etc] two-piece without too much flair)
- make informed decisions on colour choices ("I think that cornflower's a little more full-bodied than we want")
- go fabric shopping at multiple stores, multiple times
- and so much more
2. but we've gotten a ton done. sheena has a dress that she adores and supposedly will make me fall into seizures from its awesomeness (according to sarah coffey); pastor jon is confirmed to wed us; God's scheduled to stick around for the whole process; we have a church with a basement for the reception; photography - checkeroo; and just confirmed.. we will have the cutest flower girl/ringbearer couple EVER. no, seriously. let me prove it.

here's the flower girl (pekay, if you're watching this, smile!) & the ringbearer (yes, lukie is confirmed); also, that really hot smiling beauty on the left is sheena, in case you've been in a hole or something.



my personal fantasy is to set the two of them up before the reception's over. if you want to help, just step in and you can be a part of this matchmaking frenzy.

3. the official date is december 13th. the official place is seattle. the official spiritual state is exalted.
4. yeah, the whole thing is freaking awesome. I deserve neither sheena nor her love and yet I have both! what undeserved joy! [needless to say, I could go on for a reaaaallllllyyyy long time; apparently I nearly made my sister vomit from the sappiness several times in the last months; so watch out]

ok, to work. awesome.

1 comment:

The DiLu-Fam said...

Ummmmm, Peanut cannot partake in your old fashioned -pick a groom -during childhood-ways! Besides she is to become Sister Mary Pekay! Thank you, have a good day....signed the parents!